Dr. Barney "Jay" Rickman
Professor of History & Director of Undergraduate Studies (History)
Office Telephone: 229-333-7368; Messages: 229-333-5947
Office Location: Ashley Hall, Room 1119.
Mailing Address: History Dept., Valdosta St. Univ., Valdosta, GA 31698-0035
For Rickman's Electronic Plan of Study for VSU History Majors, see either http://mypages.valdosta.edu/bjrickma/PROGRAMofSTUDY.doc
COURSES & TEACHING MATERIALS
History 2112: "United States History since 1865" Information
Syllabi for History 2112-A: http://mypages.valdosta.edu/bjrickma/H2112@8.pdf
Sample Questions: see http://mypages.valdosta.edu/bjrickma/2112samples.html
Reading Lists 2112: 1st Exam = see http://mypages.valdosta.edu/bjrickma/2112RD-A.pdf
2nd Exam = see http://mypages.valdosta.edu/bjrickma/2112RD-B.pdf
3rd Exam = see http://mypages.valdosta.edu/bjrickma/2112RD-C.pdf
4th Exam = see http://mypages.valdosta.edu/bjrickma/2112RD-D.pdf
Reading & Study Tips see either http://mypages.valdosta.edu/bjrickma/READING%20TIPS%20www.pdf f
Key Information for Upper-Level Undergraduate Courses w/ Rickman
Dr. Rickman uses the SafeAssign function in VSU's BlazeVIEW system for all of his Upper-Level Undergraduate Courses.
By taking a course w/ Dr. Rickman, you agree that all required course work may be subject to submission for textual similarity review to SafeAssign, a tool within BlazeVIEW.
For more information on VSU’s use of SafeAssign, see http://www.valdosta.edu/academic/SafeAssignforStudents.shtml
Steps to submit your work to SafeAssign:
(1) In your BlazeVIEW section, select the SafeAssign icon.
(2) The SafeAssignments page will appear.
(3) Click the title of SafeAssignment you wish to submit.
(4) Read the assignment description including instructions specific to this assignment.
(5) Click the Browse button, navigate to the location of your file, and select your file.
(6) Check the box if you agree to submit your paper to the Global Reference Database. This protects the authorship of your work by allowing papers submitted from other schools to be checked against yours for originality.
(7) Add any comments for your instructor.
(8) Click the submit button.
History 4206: History of the United States since 1945
Syllabi for History 4206: http://mypages.valdosta.edu/bjrickma/HIS4206.pdf
History 4404: History of the Vietnam War
Syllabi for History 4404: http://mypages.valdosta.edu/bjrickma/HIS4404.pdf
CURRICULUM VITAE (SPRING 2013)
BLAZEVIEW LINK TO ACCESS ON-LINE MATERIALS
Materials for Teaching the Internment of Japanese Americans during World War II
The Microsoft files listed below were created for a
presentation entitled, "Fitting
Fiction with Facts for Japanese-American Internment"
March 24, 2012 with Pamela Rickman
at the annual meeting of the National Council on History Education (NCHE) held
in Kansas City, MO [http://www.nche.net/].
The theme for the 2012 NCHE conference was
Reading the Past: Literature and Literacy in History .
Travel to this conference was made possible by support received from the VSU
Center for Faculty Scholarship.
PowerPoint presentation on Japanese-American internment with text, map, &
list of websites on the Japanese-American internment
3) Timeline on the historical roots of the internment, its implementation, as well as its consequences. http://mypages.valdosta.edu/bjrickma/Timeline.docx This detailed timeline is extensively documented & has suggestions for further reading.
4) An edited collection of eight primary documents on the Internment http://mypages.valdosta.edu/bjrickma/DocumentsforNCHE2012.docx References to these documents are included in the Timeline to help students understand the context for these documents.
5) Expanded lesson plan, with modification
suggestions, for middle-school students
In addition to the lesson plan above, Pam Rickman has also provided two
other documents to help your students use the materials that Barney Rickman has
In addition to the lesson plan above, Pam Rickman has also provided two other documents to help your students use the materials that Barney Rickman has gathered: